Wednesday, September 14, 2005

A Week at Yellowstone

I know it has been entirely too long since our last update and for that I apologize. The time that we spent at Yellowstone National Park was absolutely incredible. It was also a break from electronics - especially cell phones - as cell service was incredibly limited. The park is larger than Delaware and Rhode Island combined - and I only found two places that gave me any kind of coverage. Add to that the fact that my laptop was acting up and refused to connect to the internet - even in those places. No radio stations and no TV signals. Truly a refuge apart from the rest of the world. I read a USA Today from cover to cover yesterday because I felt so disconnected (while doing laundry!)

Today we left the park and headed to Jackson Hole, Wyoming via Grand Tetons National Park. Internet access began working again once we had Verizon cell coverage so I was able to pull in email. Between Steph and I we had over 600 emails (most of them spam - but still a lot of mail to sort through!) So here's what I'm gonna do. I will write a few words and offer a few hilight pics tonite to hopefully whet your appetite and then provide more info and pics in the days to come. OK??!!

So things started over a week ago in South Dakota. Steph was feeling better and we took her back to the Badlands to explore with us. The next day we went to Mt Rushmore

We then visited Crazy Horse Memorial, Deadwood, Devils Tower and made our way across Wyoming to Yellowstone. It's a big park and there is so much to see. Here's a pic at Mammoth Hot Springs in the northern end of the park:

Of course no visit to Yellowstone would be complete without visiting Old Faithful.


Gotta love the hat that Alex picked out, don't you?? We ran into another family living in an RV and trying to decide where to call home. Our kids became fast friends and played frequently whenever we were in the campground. We're going to keep in touch and are invited to visit them wherever they settle.

Pictures are forthcoming, but did you know that we woke up on Saturday September 10th to an inch of snow on everything but the roads. Quite a shock to us!! Wasn't I just talking about the 105 temperatures in South Dakota last week??

The trip is not without it's educational opportunities. The boys have completed Junior Ranger programs at both Devils Tower and Yellowstone. The Yellowstone program was muc more intense - requiring a lot more work and thought from them as they visited the parks many exhibits. They were required to attend a ranger led program, partake in a hike and complete 5 to 7 pages in a guidebook (depending on age).

David was the first one done - on Sunday, so I took him to get his Junior Ranger award.

After that, I had promised to take him on a backcountry overnite hike. It seemed that the forecast was better for Sunday than Monday so we hurried and got ready and at 2pm Steph, Zach and Alex saw us off.

On her way back to the RV Steph got this very cool pic that I include here for you

The other two boys finished their Junior Ranger requirements and got their awards.

Then right outside the Ranger Station they were treated to a VERY rare but exciting treat - a momma and two grizzly cubs!!

It is sooo not fair. You need to understand that seeing a grizzly was one of my main goals for this trip to Yellowstone and in fact our backcountry hike was intended to aid in that, as it was to an area that 2 bears had been known to frequent. Yes we took safety precautions - but the extent of wildlife that David and I saw was a few deer. It started raining/sleeting around 3am for us. We packed up camp in the morning and began the 9.7 mile haul back to meet Steph. We were cold, wet and miserable just like I promised David we would be - but we had FUN and we did it. There's more to tell - but it will have to wait!

Today before we left, we visited the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone River. Steph led us on a huge descent of a hike to get a great view of the falls - and wow - what a view!!

And here's a great pic of the Tetons as we drove through.


So I help this helps bring you up to date on our adventures. Like I said, I'll get more info and pics here as soon as I can. That's all for tonite though - it's after midnight and I'm tired!!

John

No comments: