Saturday, July 23, 2005

On the Road


Thursday morning they began digging into the problem with the tow and braking system. It was going to take some time to track down, so we left and returned to Disneyworld. We already had the tickets, so it seemed like a good idea at the time! We arrived at Disney/MGM Studios as they were opening for the day and were quickly able to get in most of the things we wanted to see. I was especially excited to exhibit my acting talents when I was selected as one of 10 extras to participate in the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. Out of the audience of approx 2000 people, I got to get into costume and join the other actors and stuntmen on stage! Steph captured it on video - hopefully soon I'll have some edited footage to post here (I'm just not taking the time to do that right now!) Steph and I both considered that the highlight of our day!

Around 3pm we left MGM and returned to Camping world to get the RV. Everything was finally working properly (except for the leveling system - we have to go to Iowa to get that fixed). I hooked up the Jeep to the tow system (under the mechanics supervision) and got it all right. So we departed Camping World and returned to Disney - this time to Epcot (another park there).

Zach really wanted to ride Soarin' - a new hang gliding simulator type ride - but the line was over 2 hours long so we skipped that! Maybe next time.

We walked through the country showcase and did the boat ride tours in Mexico and Norway - absolutely beautiful!! We bought chocolate in Norway and Germany (a necessity every time I've ever visited), and I had a glass of Strongbow - a British hard cider (good stuff!)



We got back to the parking lot some time around 11. It was empty enough that I put Steph in the drivers seat of the RV and we did some practice driving in the parking lot. Stopping, starting and turning. It was a big safe place to introduce her to driving our 57 foot home! She did quite well. Turning is the only time you really notice the extra length. On the highway it's just kind of there behind you. Then we departed the Orlando region and I drove to Ocala where we slept for the night in a Walmart parking lot.

Friday I woke up shortly after 7 and climbed back into the drivers seat and headed northwest!
We arrived in Birmingham, Alabama around 4pm (local time) and settled into our camping site. I've gotta say here how much I appreciate Steph's great attitude and willingness to jump in and get things done. She drove from Montgomery to Birmingham, and when we stopped at the campsite she helped with getting us hooked up (even putting on the gloves and hooking up the sewage lines!) What a woman!!

We drove over to John and Stacie's house and then immediately left for dinner. We went to Jim and Nick's BBQ and had wonderful pulled pork and beef brisket. This is the place that I get my hot BBQ sauce and I bought 3 bottles before we left. When we arrived back at their home, John went to pick up their children from VBS. Wow - their boys have really grown! Teenagers now!! And their new daughters are beautiful! They adopted two girls from Columbia in January. Stacie said that the girls have NEVER taken to guests in their home like they did to us last night. It made us feel real good that we were part of their extended "family"!!

We slept good - in fact most everone else is still sleeping! We're going back to John and Stacie's around 1 this afternoon. I'm hoping to take the guys (mine and John, Nathan and Andy) and go for a bike ride at Oak Mountain State Park nearby. We'll see what happens.

Well more later. Hope you enjoy the pics and stories!

John

No comments: